Crocodile or Alligator? To understand these two reptiles better, there are a few simple tricks. In the crocodile order, there are around 25 species that can be split up into three families. True crocodiles, alligators and gharials. So, that means: the alligator is actually a kind of crocodile. Nevertheless, we’d still like to be able to tell the difference between the two families. Over the following pages, you’ll find large images and a few rules to work out which is which. Finally, there’ll be a clear summary..
Use these links to jump directly to the specific differences:
- Crocodile or alligator: use the teeth to tell them apart
- Crocodile or alligator: different snouts
- Crocodile or alligator: which animal lives in saltwater, which in freshwater?
- Round-up with all the differences between crocodiles and alligators
- Watch now on animalfunfacts.net:
- Video: 11 Reptile Fun Facts - like crocodiles