Pet Names for Reptiles
Are you getting a pet turtle or other reptile? We have a list of really cool names for your reptile!
Reptiles are getting more and more popular as pets. Here, you’ll find lots of lovely names for geckos, bearded dragons, tortoises etc from A to Z. You'll also learn about its meaning. Read on to find out if reptiles actually answer to their names.
Great Names for Pet Reptiles:
- Apep – Snake demon (Egypt)
- Bad Bill – Gila monster from Rango
- Beans – Desert iguana from Rango
- Blazing Star
- Bowser – Turtle from Mario
- Brachiosaurus – Dinosaur
- Brutus – Roman politician
- Crush – Turtle from Finding Nemo
- Donatello – Turtle from TMNT
- Hydra – Snake monster (Greek)
- Jabberwocky – from Alice in Wonderland
- Jake – Western Diamondback Rattlesnake from Rango
- Kassiopeia – Turtle from Momo
- Kukulcan – feathered Snake god (Mayan)
- Lancelot – Knight of the Round Table
- Legolas – from Lord of the Rings
- Leonardo – Turtle from TMNT
- Master Oogway – Turtle from Kung Fu Panda
- Master Viper – Snake from Kung Fu Panda
- Michelangelo – Turtle from TMNT
- Monty Python – British comedy group
- Naga – Snake god (Hindu)
- Poison Dwarf
- Rango – Chameleon from Rango
- Raphael – Turtle from TMNT
- Rex – Dinosaur from Toy Story
- Roadkill – Nine-banded armadillo from Rango
- RockybalBoa – from Rocky Balboa (boa = snake)
- Shiggy – Turtle from Pokémon
- Spinosaurus – Dinosaurier
- Stegosaurus –Dinosaur
- T-Rex –Dinosaur
- Velociraptor – Dinosaur
- Verne – Turtle from Over the Hedge
- Waffles – Horned lizard from Rango
- Yoshi – Dinosaur from Mario
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Pet Name
• Do Reptiles Answer to Their Names?
Snakes and other reptiles don’t have ears. Well, at least visible external ears. But they can hear, as they have hidden auditory channels, like inner ears, and mostly recognize vibrations. But, in general, when it comes to reptiles: they don’t really mind what you call them. They won’t react anyway. So, just find a name that you like.
• Does My Pet Recognize Me?
Although reptiles don’t develop particularly close connections with their owners, they do recognize them in a way. Lots of reptile owners say that their pet is noticeably more relaxed and calmer with them than with strangers.
• Change the Name?
If you fancy a change, it’s not a problem! Reptiles etc don’t respond to their names, so you don’t need to worry. They won’t begrudge you the chance to rename them! Unlike cats and dogs, who get used to the sound of their names and would have real difficulties getting used to suddenly being called something else. So, if your pet has just joined your family, you can give yourself weeks and weeks to try out which name you like best. Maybe just don’t change its name every day. Nobody will be able to keep track.
• Mythological Names
Reptiles, especially snakes and crocodiles, have always fascinated humans. That’s why there are lots of gods and other beings in the mythologies of many cultures that look like reptiles. The Mayans had Kukulcan, a feathered snake god, and the Greeks had a snake monster called Hydra. Hinduism has the snake god Naga , while Egyptian mythology includes the snake demon Apophis. A reptile with a name like this will definitely be unusual and mysterious.
• "Dinosaur" Names
Dinosaur names are very popular for reptiles such as geckos and bearded dragons. A terrifying name like T-Rex, Velociraptor or Spinosaurus can sound really cool. Take a good look at your reptile: maybe it looks like a certain kind of dinosaur. You could name your pet after a prehistoric lizard or base a nickname around it. Like Rexy or Geckosaurus. With their thick shells, tortoises and turtles can even look like the prehistoric stegosaurus, saichania or brachiosaurus. Just let your imagination take charge.
• Real Namesakes
There are two tortoises that made it into the Guinness Book of World Records thanks to their impressive ages. Harriet made it to 175 years old, and Adwaita 256 years old. Adwaita means “unique”. Maybe your tortoise will follow their lead if you give it one of these two names? Tortoises can easily make it to 60-80 years old!
- More information:
- Exotic Pets